Law School Headlines
Professor Wilson Leads Brazilian Program
The IU Robert H. McKinney School of Law was the site of the fourth annual Program in American Law for Brazilian law professors and students from September 1 through 10, 2012. From 2009 through 2011, program participants came from (FAESA), located in Vitória, Brazil. In 2012, a second group of professors and students from Faculdade de Direito de Cachoeiro de Itapemirim (FDCI), located in Itapemirim, Brazil joined the program. Professor Lloyd T. “Tom” Wilson founded the program and is its director.
The program consists of classroom instruction each morning and field trips each afternoon. The classroom portion of the 2012 program included instruction on federalism, the jury system, and the common law. These topics allow participants to gain a better understanding of the legal system in the U.S. and to compare it to the civil law system of their home country.
The sites of program field trips were:
- United States District Court, where the Brazilians met with Judge Sarah Evans Barker and Judge William T. Lawrence, ’73, who spoke about the role of federal courts in a federalist system
- Indiana Supreme Court, where Justice Steve David, ’82, an adjunct professor in the LL.M. program, spoke to the group in the Supreme Court Courtroom about the state court system
- Indiana Senate, where the group heard from Senator Phil Boots, Senator Mike Delph, ’10, and Senator Brandt Hershman, J.D. candidate 2013, about matters ranging from state government finance to important issues on the legislative agenda
- Office of the Indiana Attorney General, where they met with Attorney General Greg Zoeller, who teaches as an adjunct professor in the LL.M. program, and who spoke about the Attorney General’s role in connection with each branch of state government
- Faegre Baker & Daniels law firm, where Brita A. Horvath, ’02, Tom Froehle, Angie Castille, and Kathy Osborn spoke about the international practice of law and the firm’s pro bono and civic engagement activities
In addition, program participants visited Wabash College, where representatives of FAESA and FDCI joined faculty in a presentation titled, “Crisis and Recovery: Reflections on Economic Policies in Brazil and the U.S.”
Professor Wilson will host the 5th Program in American law in September 2013.