Instructions For Prospective Visiting Students
You may submit your application for admission to the Visiting Student Program at Indiana University Robert H. McKinney School of Law using the Online Application Form or by requesting a Visiting Student Application from the Office of Student Affairs at (317)278-5560. The Office of Student Affairs handles all visiting student applications. Please note that if submitting your application online, in addition to the online form, you will need to submit a letter from the Dean or the Academic Dean of your law school (see the instructions below following the online application instructions). For the online application, please read all of the following instructions carefully. You may wish to print these instructions for easy reference while filling out the Online Application Form.
Instructions for the Online Application
The online application is a university form used by several schools and departments within the university. Therefore, you will encounter some questions that are not applicable to your Law School application. To apply to be a Visiting Student at the School of Law you will need to choose the Graduate/Professional Application. The application is divided into sections, and the following instructions refer to those sections. You are only responsible for filling out the sections listed below.
- Personal Information. Fill out this entire section.
- Educational Objectives. For academic program choose “LAW-Nondegree”. For major choose “Non Degree Law”. Enter the semester that you plan to enter/enroll at Indiana Robert H. McKinney University School of Law. These are the only fields that you need to fill out in this section.
- Personal Statement. Upload a letter (approximately one page) that describes the reasons for your proposed visit. If you also have applied (or intend to apply) to be admitted as a transfer student at this law school, your letter must so state.
- Departmental Questions. Click on the link provided in this section to access the Indiana University Robert H. McKinney School of Law Supplement Application. On the Supplement Application be sure to choose “visiting student” as your desired student status. We do NOT need your LSAC account number. In addition you do NOT need to fill out the “Other Information” section or provide references.
- Application Fee. A non-refundable application fee of $50.00 ($60.00 for international applicants) must be paid using a credit card (American Express, Discover, MasterCard, or Visa) in order to submit your application online.
Go to the online application form
Instructions for Letter from Your Dean or Academic Dean
In addition to the online application you will need to obtain a letter from the Dean or Academic Dean of your law school that includes each of the following items:
- A statement that you are currently a student in good standing at your home school.
- A statement that you have permission to visit this school, specifying the semesters for which permission is granted.
- A list of the courses which you have permission to take, along with a statement specifying that the home school will grant credit toward your degree for those courses.
Please submit the letter to the following address:
Lawrence W. Inlow Hall
530 West New York Street
Indianapolis, IN 46220
Please note that your application will not be considered until all documents have been received and the application fee paid. Admissions decisions for visiting students are made by the Associate Dean for Student Affairs upon satisfaction of the application requirements. A letter will be sent to you when your application has been reviewed and a decision has been made.