About the Robert H. McKinney School of Law
With an enrollment of more than 900 students, Indiana University Robert H. McKinney School of Law is the largest law school in the state of Indiana. Occupying a spacious, new, technologically advanced building in the city of Indianapolis, Indiana, the school is located on the campus of Indiana University Purdue University Indianapolis, which has an enrollment of more than 29,000 students. The school has enjoyed great success for more than 100 years in preparing students for legal careers. The success of the school is evidenced by the prominent positions graduates have obtained in the judiciary and other branches of government, business, positions of civic leadership, and law practice. The school’s nearly 10,000 alumni are located in every state in the nation and several foreign countries.
Indiana University Robert H. McKinney School of Law traces its origins to the late nineteenth century when the first of its private predecessor schools, the Indiana Law School, began operating in 1894. A full-time day school, the Indiana Law School was part of a newly formed University of Indianapolis that also included Butler University, the Medical College of Indiana and the Indiana Dental School. All three professional schools later became part of Indiana University. Among the first trustees of the school were former United States President, Benjamin Harrison, and Indiana industrialist, Eli Lilly.
In 1898 a second predecessor school, the Indianapolis College of Law, was founded, offering a two-year evening program. This school, located in the Pythian Building in downtown Indianapolis, was advertised in 1906 as “known everywhere for its successful graduates,” and boasted a tuition of $10 per term. A few years later, another evening school, the American Central Law School, was established. In 1914, these two evening schools merged to become Benjamin Harrison Law School, and in 1936 this school and the Indiana Law School merged, taking the name of the latter, and offering both day and evening programs.
In 1944, the Indiana Law School became affiliated with Indiana University, becoming the Indianapolis Division of the IU School of Law. Beginning the following year, the school was housed in the Maennerchor Building, an architectural landmark in Indianapolis. The school gained autonomy in 1968, becoming the Indiana University School of Law, the largest law school in Indiana and the only law school in the state to offer both full- and part-time programs. It moved into a new building at 735 West New York Street in 1970. The school was housed in that facility until its move to Lawrence W. Inlow Hall, located at 530 West New York Street, in May 2001.
In 2011, the law school received a $24 million contribution from retired banker and attorney Robert H. McKinney, the largest gift ever received by the school. The contribution was an arrangement to match funds with an IUPUI fundraising campaign, for a total value of $31.5 million.The school was renamed after McKinney.
Lawrence W. Inlow Hall, the home of Indiana University Robert H. McKinney School of Law, is designed to create a rare learning environment – one that combines the professional atmosphere of a modern law firm with the academic gravitas of a legal institution distinguished by more than 100 years of history. The award-winning architecture combines with state-of-the-art technology, to enhance the school’s classrooms, library and study areas. The 200-seat Wynne Courtroom is the ideal setting for simulated trials and appellate proceedings, as well as for public lectures and continuing legal education programs. Inlow Hall is truly an excellent home for aspiring lawyers and legal scholars alike.
Through the generosity of Anita C. Inlow, widow of Lawrence W. Inlow, the law school building carries the name of the former executive vice president and general counsel of Conseco, Inc. A graduate of Harvard Law School, and former partner at the Indianapolis law firm, Henderson Daily Withrow & Devoe, Mr. Inlow was active in several community organizations including the Boy Scouts of America, the Carmel Dad’s Club and the Church Federation of Greater Indianapolis. He was regarded by colleagues as a brilliant attorney and an outstanding community leader. The law school is proud to have its building named in his memory.
World-class Faculty and Students
Located at the “Crossroads of America,” the Robert H. McKinney School of Law attracts eminent scholars from both the public and private sectors. Faculty members collectively hold J.D., LL.M. and Ph.D. degrees from more than fifty different schools, offering students extensive and diverse views of the law. Our professors include nationally-recognized experts in the fields of bioethics, law and economics, international human rights law, copyright law, European Union law, health law, housing and poverty law and numerous other areas. Faculty Directory - Professorships - Faculty News
Diversity at the Robert H. McKinney School of Law means not only a balance of race and gender in the student population (including 50% women and 22% people of color), but also of age, backgrounds and life goals. The law school’s competitive part-time program makes up approximately one-third of the student body and brings both experience and maturity to the school’s atmosphere. The opportunity to study with people from around the world who come for our J.D.,LL.M. and S.J.D. programs completes our multi-faceted academic community.
The Ruth Lilly Law Library
Internet and wireless connections for laptop computers can be found throughout the building—not only in classrooms, but in private study rooms and individual study carrels as well. The Ruth Lilly Law Library is one of the largest legal research libraries in the United States, housing a collection of over 600,000 volumes in a 55,000 square foot facility that includes a soaring two-story, glass-enclosed reading room overlooking downtown Indianapolis. The Ruth Lilly Law Library is one of the early United States government publications depositories. It is also a full depository of the United Nations, has a 20,000 volume Commonwealth collection, and is a depository for documents of organizations ranging from the American Bar Association to the European Commission of Human Rights.
The law school has nearly 10,000 alumni located in every state in the nation and several foreign countries. Prominent alumni include a former Vice President of the United States, Dan Quayle and his wife, Marilyn; a United States Senator from Indiana, Dan Coats; Indiana Governor Edgar Whitcomb; and numerous Congressional representatives. In addition to many partners and principals in law firms, the law school is also proud of alumni such as John Pistole, Deputy Director of the Federal Bureau of Investigation (FBI); Pamela L. Carter, the first African-American female Attorney General, currently Vice President, Cummins Inc. and President, Cummins Filtration; Hon. Brent E. Dickson, Associate Justice of the Indiana Supreme Court; and countless other alumni who have used their law degrees to achieve their dreams. For more alumni stories, see the Class Notes section of our web site.
Indiana University Robert H. McKinney School of Law
Office of Admissions
530 West New York Street
Indianapolis, IN 46202-3225